Two of the winners in the Midwest region are from Chicagoland, and one of them is local rising star Studio Gang, so here's the press release and I'll paste in pictures of the various projects so you can see what was done:
WoodWorks Honors Regional Architects, Engineers at Chicago Wood Solutions Fair
Outstanding projects in Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin were recognized with 2010 Wood Design Awards
CHICAGO – September 20, 2010 – WoodWorks presented eight Wood Design Awards at its Wood Solutions Fair on September 8, 2010. The awards recognized regional architects and engineers who demonstrated innovation and excellence in the design of non-residential wood structures. Firms and projects spanned the region, with nominations coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois.
The eight winners were chosen from the pool of nominations by a juried group of six industry experts. In addition to recognition at the Wood Solutions Fair, each firm and project that received a Wood Design Award was featured in a short video presentation highlighting the project’s inspiration and the construction process.
The following are the 2010 Wood Design Award winners:
· Commercial Wood Design – Wenzler Architects from Milwaukee, WI for Miron Construction Company Corporate Headquarters building located in Neenah, WI.
(Sorry, no picture of this one.)
· Engineering – Halvorson and Partners Structural Engineers from Chicago, IL for the Bollingbrook Historic Farm located in Bollingbrook, IL.
· Green Building – TWP Architecture from Elm Grove, WI for the Herrington Recovery Center – Roger’s Memorial Hospital located in Summit, WI.
· Innovative Wood Design – Studio Gang Architects from Chicago, IL for the Lincoln Park Zoo South Pond Pavilion located in Chicago, IL.
· Institutional Wood Design – Julie Snow Architects, Inc. from Minneapolis, MN for the US Land Port of Entry located in Warroad, MN.
· Interior Building – Cuningham Group Architecture, P.A. from Minneapolis, MN for Nilan Johnson Lewis located in Minneapolis, MN.
· Multi-family – Elness Swenson Graham with Jay P. Nelson Architect from Minneapolis, MN for Cobblestone Square located in Apple Valley, MN.
· Traditional Use of Wood – Phillip Katz Project Development LLC from Mequon, WI for the Congregation Emanu-El B’ne Jeshurun located in River Hills, WI.
In addition to the awards presentation, the day-long Wood Solutions Fair featured educational seminars on topics such as life cycle assessment, seismic and wind design, timber as an architectural structure, wood properties and their effects on paint and coatings, reducing moisture problems and several other topics. Design professionals received up to six educational credits at no cost for attending the fair. The next regional Wood Solutions Fair will be held on April 7, 2011 in Minneapolis.
An initiative of the Wood Products Council, WoodWorks is a cooperative venture of all the major wood associations in North America, as well as research organizations and government agencies. It provides one-stop access to the widest possible range of information on the use of wood in non-residential structures. For more information, call 1-866-966-3448 or visit www.woodworks.org.