Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Going Under Michigan Avenue


I still haven't had a chance to explore all the bits of Chicago's new riverwalk yet.  But the parts that I've seen impress me.  The best part is the path beneath Michigan Avenue.

Not just a concrete path, the designers actually made room for some leafy bits -- a little oasis where one can sit and watch the river traffic without being obligated to buy a beer from a nearby vendor.

When I lived at Lakeshore East I spent a lot of time roaming the lower levels of streets underneath the city to avoid snow and wind on my way home from work.  The worst part was always crossing Lower Michigan Avenue.  I don't know how this will look in the winter, but maybe it will provide an alternative to stepping over ancient trash and stacks of homeless people piled on top of each other like gerbils for warmth.

1 comment:

You can write a comment about this article below, but that's kind of just a one-way street. For full whiz-bang interactivity, click here to comment on this article at the Chicago Architecture Info Forum.