Thursday, September 10, 2009

Slice of Life: Skywalks of Chicago



Chicago is not a big skywalk city.  In places like Minneapolis and Cincinnati, skywalks are common areas linking many buildings and often lined with shops, kiosks, and eateries.  In Chicago, we have the Pedway, but it's buried like the one in Houston, and not what it once was or could possibly be.

But there are many private skywalks in Chicago -- if you know where to look.  On a recent sunny day when I had some time to kill in the Loop, I went looking for these things.  In less than ten minutes I found 17.  I bet there are many more.  Almost none had windows, and I wonder if the people using them realize they're actually passing from one building to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can write a comment about this article below, but that's kind of just a one-way street. For full whiz-bang interactivity, click here to comment on this article at the Chicago Architecture Info Forum.